As many of you know, 2017 is the 500th Anniversary of the
Reformation’s beginning. Here at United In Faith, we
wanted to mark this important anniversary and do it in a
special and meaningful way.
In our Fellowship Hall, you will find a door which
represents the door of a Wittenburg castle church that Martin
Luther took a hammer to. But instead of theses, we are going to
nail our acts of kindness on the door. The Justice Ministry is
asking the members of the United in Faith community to perform
500 acts of kindness this year & mark those acts on a small
scroll to be put onto to our door. We hope to have all 500 acts
completed by Reformation Sunday in October.
What are acts of kindness? An act of kindness is this: a
spontaneous gesture of goodwill toward someone or something
– our fellow humans, the animal kingdom, or the kingdom
of nature. It is a non-premeditated, inconsistent action
designed to offer kindness toward the outside world.
We are asking each of you to seek out opportunities to be
spontaneously kind and brighten someone’s day. We are
listing some suggestions for acts of kindness in bulletins to
get all of us thinking of ideas for everyday acts of kindness
and justice we can take. You can use these or those that mean
the most to you & those around you:
- Let the person behind you in the checkout lane go ahead
of you, especially if they just have one or two items or if
you’re in no hurry yourself.
- Bring doughnuts or a healthy treat to work or school to
share with your department or class.
- Create a simple care package for someone feeling under
the weather. Some things to include might be a box of
Kleenex, hand sanitizer, cough drops, soup, tea, a book, or
- Tip an employee at an establishment where tips are not
expected & the employee(s) is working diligently to
pleasantly surprise them and brighten their day.
Possible Volunteer Opportunities:
- Comfort Hospice needs volunteer office workers at 8750 N
Bryn Mawr. Contact:
- St. Cyprian’s Food Pantry always needs extra
Volunteer hands from 9:00 to 11:00 on Mondays &
- Be a Field Trip Volunteer for Lydia Home Association at
4300 W. Irving Park Road.