16 Down, 2 Planned, 2 to Go!
In 2018, United in Faith will be celebrating our twentieth
anniversary as a congregation. The first worship service of
United in Faith was on Easter Sunday 1998. As a way of honoring
our anniversary and continuing to give back to the community
that we have partnered with all along, we have planned to do
twenty different community-related projects throughout the year
surrounding our anniversary date. Because this is an ambitious
undertaking, we have scheduled these 20For20’s from
September 2017 through October 2018.
We seek to partner mostly with local organizations (in
Portage Park, Dunning, Jefferson Park, and the like) to bless
the community and the organization. Because each organization
has a different mission and purpose, each community project
with look a little different. Usually we begin these
conversations by asking a contact at a community
“If we were to have 3-8 members and approximately $100
dedicated to blessing or helping your organization, how could
that best serve you and your mission?”
There are so many opportunities to bless those around us
– sometimes this happens informally in our lives,
sometimes this happens with pre-planning. Our hope is that
members of United in Faith will be inspired to participate in
these 20For20 as a way of ministering to the community around
us. At this point, we have either implemented or scheduled
thirteen of twenty 20For20 projects. Want to keep count of how
we are progressing? You can keep track of this list on the wall
of the Fellowship Hall (these pages will be gathered into an
archives scrapbook at the end of the year).
17 20for20 PROJECTS COMPLETED:
1. Lifesource Blood Drive – (Sept. 2017)
2. Reformation 500 Book Fair – (Oct. 2017)
3. Veterans Salute – (Nov. 2017)
4. NWSHC Fundraiser volunteers – (Nov. 2017)
5. Winter Farmers Market @ UIF with Faith in Place –
6. NVAM Spring Ice Breaker – (April 2018)
7. Olive’s Neighborhood Garden – (April 2018:
Part 1 complete, Part 2 On-Going) Lead person: Pam Marino.
8. Wright College Study Break – (May 2018)
9. Youth Outreach Services – (May 2018). Lead person:
10. St. Mary of Providence – (June 2018). Lead person:
Mickey B & Samantha C.
11. LSSI Refuge Family - June 2018 - On-Going) Lead person:
12. Lydia Home Hope Fest Volunteers - (June 2018)
13. St. Cyprian's Baby Shower/Diaper Drive - (June 2018)
14. NATIONAL ICE CREAM DAY - hand out free individual ice
creams at Portage Park on Sunday, July 15. Lead person: Katie
15. Central Baptist Village – September 16, 2:00 PM
– hosting a party for a special event. Lead person: Nancy
16. Portage Park Satellite Senior Center – September
17, 1:45 - 3:45 PM for their End of Summer Social event
17. LOMC Fundraiser bake sale @ UIF -September 23
Three 20for20 PROJECTS ARE IN THE WORKS
18. Our Saviour's Lutheran Preschool/Kindergarten (Chicago)
Walk-A-Thon – October 5, 10:00 AM – providing
snacks and a cheering section.
19. Portage Park Farmers Market – October 7, 10:00 AM
- 2:00 PM) – host a table – offer prayer and free
20. Ronald McDonald House Toy Drive; October 7, 14 & 21.
These Sundays in October we will have a a Toy Drive at UiF for
the Ronald McDonald House at Loyola Hospital in Maywood.
--->> AN IDEA CHALLENGE FOR YOU
The Big Questions – Do you know of a local
organization that we can help to support and bless through our
small opportunities for community interaction? What other
organizations do you think we should be involved with in the
next year of 20For20 projects? What organizations serve our
neighbors and support the community every day that we could
partner with intentionally during 2019? What do you hope our
congregation’s Twentieth Anniversary legacy will be as we
look back from the future?
For more information, feel free to contact Pastor Carla,
Nancy Ciecko, Katie Jewell, or Dave Quillin.